Sunday, December 12, 2010

Somewhere over the earth A song, a song Somewhere I have heard My brother is gone

I had a brother. I never knew him. He existed in a few photos and quiet whispers I wasn't supposed to hear and then he died. It was on Christmas Eve 1988. I was 11. He was 20.

I remember that evening in fragments which I can't be sure I'm not mixing up with others. We were at Grandma Kuehl's I remember the adults speaking in hushed tones. I remember my Dad stepping outside. I remember it snowed, that beautiful fluffy soft wet snow and we made snowmen when we got home. I actually remember it being one of the most beautiful nights ever.

I think I remember being told and not really caring in the way that an 11 year old would process news about a stranger dying because that's what he was....a stranger.

I don't know anything about him. I don't know what kind of person he was, what kind of music he liked, if he liked football or hockey. I don't know if he was going to be a doctor, lawyer or construction worker.

Lately, this is what keeps me up at night.

And so begins my search.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, you know what's weird. I actually thought of him a while ago myself. Can't remember why, but sort of oh yeah, Don had a son.
    I remember the night my brother died. The phone rang and rang and I didn't answer it and after I was so glad because it was "the call". Your Mom came over and woke my parents up. Then my Mom had to repeat over and over again "Jack's dead" because Dad was hard of hearing. I was a little older, 13, but it's still rather surreal.
    Good for you for trying to learn more about him.

    ReplyDelete